Dear Presidents, Players, Officials and Supporters
This email is to keep you updated on the current thinking around the management of the Corona Virus transmission risk in relation to the Alice Springs Netball competition. The Corona Virus (COVID 19) situation is a rapidly changing landscape.
As of today, the NT still only has one confirmed case of Corona Virus, a tourist, who is in quarantine in Darwin.
Most would be aware that the Governments are moving quickly to implement specific travel restrictions placed on all inbound international travellers. There are no restrictions on interstate or intrastate travel as yet although any non-essential travel to remote communities is to be postponed.
There is also a current restriction on static gatherings (in excess of 2 hours) of groups larger than 500 people. The Alice Springs Netball competition does not meet this criteria.
The current advice from the Northern Territory’s Deputy Chief Health Officer about large gatherings is that we should take a risk-based approach.
- It is currently fine to hold events if attendees are from the NT.
- the venue should enable social distancing
- Players, officials and spectators should exercise social distancing.
- Players, officials and spectators should not attend if they are feeling unwell.
ASNA is constantly monitoring advice from the responsible Government agencies and Netball NT in relation to COVID 19. The ASNA Board has considered the available information and the current risk level and has decided, until alternative advice is received, that both the junior and senior competitions will continue as scheduled until further notice.
While making this decision to proceed, ASNA reminds all players, officials and spectators that:
- If you are sick, avoid contact with others. Stay at home if you are unwell – i.e. cough, sore throat, high temperature. DO NOT COME TO NETBALL
- If you have returned from an overseas trip in the past 14 day you should not attend the netball facility. If you have returned from oversees since 12.00am on 16 March, you are required by law to be in self quarantine for a minimum of 14 days.
- Practice social distancing
- o remain at least 1.5 metres away from people
- o At the end of the games, avoid hand shaking, hugging or unnecessary embraces
- o Minimise physical contact, especially with people at higher risk such as older people and people with existing health conditions.
- Signage promoting good hygiene and to wash hands regularly has been displayed throughout the Netball facility.
- New hand wash dispensers have been installed in the toilets – please use them.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water (for 20 seconds minimum) including before and after the game, after going to the toilet and before and after eating.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
- Dispose of tissues properly – in a bin.
- The vehicle entrance gates to the facility will be opened to enable easier pedestrian access.
- The emergency exit doors to the car park may be used to leave the stadium to allow for a better flow of pedestrian traffic.
ASNA will continue to listen to the experts and implement any suggestions recommended by the Government, Netball Australia or Netball NT that are intended to help prevent the spread of the virus. Should we receive advice to restrict attendance at, or participation in, the ASNA competition we will make further announcements.
The NT Government and the Commonwealth Government are maintaining a high level of constantly updated information. If you would like more information you can go to the following sites:
Alice Springs Netball Association